They call me Alaurilee

My photo
I've been writing poetry from the age of 12. It has, and always will be my outlet, my voice. Join me on my journey . . . I can write about almost anything. :) ~ Life doesn't come with a shiny new book; no users manual of answers to find with one look. Life comes with doors that open and shut; and paths laid before us to be followed or passed up. There's things we can learn and things we may teach; hearts that may find us and souls we may reach. Guaranteed on this journey are teacups of tears; and pains that might hurt us may age us by years. But the beauty of life, love, laughter and giving; come from serving hugs on a platter each and every day we're living. ~

Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Sanctuary

Sometimes when I close my eyes and drift off to sleep,
I start to dream and by surprise I'm pulled right off my feet.
Suddenly my arms become capable of flight;
I soar through the sky, everything such a delight.

I find that sleep removes me from the troubles of my day.
A sort of an escape that keeps my frowny side at bay.
Sleep reboots my system giving me another start.
Tomorrow is a new day to love with all my heart.

Another way that I refill my soul when feeling blue,
is by sitting on the back deck and absorbing natures view.
I feel at one with nature and the birds in the sky.
I soak up all the energy and exhale pain with a sigh.

At times when noise taunts me and I need a little quiet,
I run a nice hot bath and pretend I'm at the Hyatt.
I add some bubble bath and turn the lights down low.
Light a scented candle and ease in really slow.

If unwelcome sounds still reach me and I find I want no more,
I plug my ears and nose and dive beneath the bathtub shore.
I stay beneath the water hearing sounds like seashells make,
I stay submerged until I feel my lungs begin to quake.

For a moment I'm all alone, just me and my bath hideaway;
and quite often its enough to keep my demons at bay.
My soul is soothed and I can face the world once again,
replacing tired frowns with a rejuvenated grin.

~~~~~~

Inspired by Poets United and Thursday Think Tank #9

Sanctuary

"Sanctuary, on a personal level, is where we perform the job of taking care of our soul.”
~Christopher Forrest McDowell