They call me Alaurilee

My photo
I've been writing poetry from the age of 12. It has, and always will be my outlet, my voice. Join me on my journey . . . I can write about almost anything. :) ~ Life doesn't come with a shiny new book; no users manual of answers to find with one look. Life comes with doors that open and shut; and paths laid before us to be followed or passed up. There's things we can learn and things we may teach; hearts that may find us and souls we may reach. Guaranteed on this journey are teacups of tears; and pains that might hurt us may age us by years. But the beauty of life, love, laughter and giving; come from serving hugs on a platter each and every day we're living. ~

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Letting go of Ego


For many years now
I've carried baggage in my brain.
Memories, thoughts and feelings
I allowed to cause me pain.

So absorbed with 'what if' thoughts
and lots of over thinking.
Reacting at presumed offenses,
eyes hiding tears behind blinking.

Struggling to hold on to self-worth
and looking for validation.
Rarely letting me just be,
denying thy mental self a vacation.

I searched high and low
for relief from brain pain.
Some days I felt much better
while on others the tears would rain.

Looking for answers in words, looks and people,
basing my value on them.
Oh the power I gave away
while lost in my own search for zen.

Today I proclaim to start to let go,
stop letting thoughts control me.
In the quest for zen, step one has begun
as I stop letting pain define who I'll be.


(Prompted by 'A New Earth' by Eckhart Tolle)


10.21.11 Submitted at Poets United for Poetry Pantry #71