They call me Alaurilee

My photo
I've been writing poetry from the age of 12. It has, and always will be my outlet, my voice. Join me on my journey . . . I can write about almost anything. :) ~ Life doesn't come with a shiny new book; no users manual of answers to find with one look. Life comes with doors that open and shut; and paths laid before us to be followed or passed up. There's things we can learn and things we may teach; hearts that may find us and souls we may reach. Guaranteed on this journey are teacups of tears; and pains that might hurt us may age us by years. But the beauty of life, love, laughter and giving; come from serving hugs on a platter each and every day we're living. ~

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Genie in a Suit

I put that mask upon my face,
the mask they gave me to wear.
I put it on to hide my reaction,
to make one think I didn't care.

Like a genie dressed up in a suit,
trying to disguise my identity.
not allowed to really be me,
manipulated by life's puppetry.

The little genie inside of me
slowly started to fade away.
Loosing my magic like marbles
lost in a game of careless play.

Just in the nick of a thing called time,
my genie could hide no more.
I ripped off that suit that smothered me
as it was something I'd learned to abhor.

I had put it on and tried to hide
from the many, the few, and me.
I worried too much about what they thought,
so I wouldn't just let myself be.

Before I let myself take off the suit
I couldn't look in the mirror.
The pain I saw behind those eyes
looked dull and lost in fear.

But after, I looked, and saw a spark,
subtle, but yet it still shined.
I'd caught the magic before it dissolved
and before I'd totally lost my mind.